As I haven’t had any experience working in the community or hospital setting besides my pharmacy rotations, the distribution rotation is my first ‘real’ exposure to hospital pharmacy. My SPEP rotation was mainly clinical and I only spend couple of hours in the dispensary. Almost everyone in the dispensary has asked me about my previous pharmacy experience. I am trying to ask as many questions as I can and the pharmacists and assistants have been very helpful so far. So far I have performed the following activities:
Observed pharmacy assistants filling out the orders and checking the end product, filled out some orders (this was helpful as I got to different dosage systems)
Observed and performed ward stock check
Observed delivery narcotic medications to different wards
Observed aseptic preparation of CIVA products
Discussion with preceptor regarding Fraser health policies and procedures e.g. Non-formulary drugs, Formulary drugs, Excluded drugs, Restricted drugs and Patient’s own medications
Discussion with preceptor regarding CIVA: advantages and disadvantages
Academic Half Day on Distribution at Vancouver General Hospital
Spent time in dispensary and checked some orders with the help of the pharmacist
Second week: I will be at the SES conference on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday we will discuss CIVA, PDTM (Parentral Drug Therapy Manual), TPN and site procedures in detail.
Thursday: Clinical Trial, Oncology, Pediatrics, NICU.
During my third week, I will be off site at different hospitals in Fraser Health gaining knowledge about different technology used for distributing medications.
I have been assigned two projects by my preceptor Raymond Lee so far:
1. Compile a list of pharmacies close to the hospital
2. Add links to useful pharmacy resources in addition to ones already available on the Fraser Health website
3. I will be doing a presentation in the last week: TBA
My goals for the rotation:
1. Be comfortable with assessing prescription order’s appropriateness in terms of necessity, effectiveness, safety.
2. Become more proficient at identifying and resolving Drug related problems.
3. Learn how to enter orders
4. Learn how to navigate the Meditech system